Thursday I attended “Your Friend The Brain” a talk by Stephanie Reese, PhD of
BrainAdvantage it was an illuminating talk.
- Your brain has 100 billion cells, w 100 trillion connections…
- Memory is stored brain-wide, 3 kinds, sensory, short term & long term
- Short term memory decays rapidly 200ms & has limited capacity
- What can you do to help cognitive function? Exercise, Nutrition, Learn Something New. (try ballroom dancing)
- So, Learn something new everyday!
- Your Right Brain is Right Here, Right Now.
- Your Left Brain is linear and thinks in language, it is that little voice in your head that says “I am”
Dr Reese shared this Ted Talk with us, from Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor. She had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened — as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding — she studied and remembered every moment.
This Thursday at 7 “ADHD is not just for kids”